Is it not a perfect dream to make a powder turn with a view on Baikal lake in the middle of November? I certainly think it is. Mamay gorge gives us this opportunity. It is a magic remote place with magnificent nature. It provides completely different terrain options: forest runs, pillow lines, huge fields in sub-alpine zone. Regular snow dumps make every day a powder day.
Quite simple – 5-6 days of Baikal powder skiing
– ski tour setup (skis or split-board, skins);
– avalanche equipment – transceiver, probe, shovel;
– telescopic poles;
– backpack 30-35 liters;
– first-aid kit;
– spare batteries for transceiver and headlamp ;
– a basic set of tools for repairing your skis/splitboard;
Meeting point – hostel or hotel in Irkutsk. You should be completely ready for action the day before program starts. Early in the morning on our first day we go by car to the gorge entrance and make our way up to the hut on skis (400m uphill, 10km track), while snowmobile lifts most of our belongings. On the last day we can make several runs in the morning and get back the same way.
A cozy hut in the forest, quite simple but comfortable. Stove heating, gas cooking, 4-5 hours of electricity in the evening, sleeping bags and mats required, water in the spring nearby and Russian bath.
– sleeping bag -5 comfort;
– a mat;
– a mug, a spoon, a bowl, a knife;
– a wash-bath set;
– gas lamp (for coziness, heat and light in shelters without electricity);
– burner + pot (or JetBoil) there are stoves, but it is better to have one or two for a group;
– a rope that can be pulled to dry clothes in the house;
– external battery for recharging devices, spare batteries;
Price: €700/person (6 people per guide), including all moutain hut accomodaiton and all transfers. Prepayment of € 150 per person.